(Ref No. CRN/10/2020/02)
Full time position
Based at: CRANE Offices, Namirembe, Kampala, Uganda
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Reporting to: The Finance Manager & Trainer
Terms of Employment: Fixed Term contract
Duration of contract: 6 months-Renewable on excellent performance and availability of funds
As a Christian organisation, CRANE requires all staff to live by Christian values and to ensure that the name of CRANE is not brought into disrepute. All staff are expected to demonstrate integrity, loyalty, truth and justice in and out of work and to uphold Christian values as outlined in the Code of Conduct. A successful candidate will be required to live his/her life with the utmost respect for the Christian faith as described in the Bible. He/she will be required to walk a life of Christian discipleship, showing evidence of the transformation of Christ in their life and living a life of integrity that demonstrates traditional Christian values. He/she will lead and participate in Christian worship, prayer, teaching and reflection. If their behaviour in or out of the workplace is blatantly and nonchalantly at odds with Christian values, they are not fit for this job.
They are expected to maintain a professional, business-like approach when representing CRANE with both internal and external stakeholders, ensuring the reputation of CRANE is maintained and enhanced at all times.
CRANE Secretariat Staff are considered the key ‘goal scorers’ of the network because they are the main interface between the members and the collaborative initiatives. You will be able to do this in a very practical way as you use your gifts and abilities to support children. You will support member organisations who have a desire to help vulnerable children.
The Finance Officer will be part of the finance team and ensure that generally acceptable accounting principles are observed, financial transactions are done in accordance with all other best practices of bookkeeping. He/she is to ensure that the legal obligations and compliance by CRANE are observed.
Roles & Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day transactional activities of the Finance Department to ensure the timely and accurate processing of transactions to inform decisions.
- Applying accounting principles and procedures to process accounting transactions.
- Maintain financial records in accordance with accounting standards, relevant, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Monthly reconciliations of accounts to ensure correct data entered in the system
- Responsible for preparation of accurate and timely financial reports as required.
- Maintain up to date Quickbooks record of all daily transactions (Payments and receipts)
- Review transaction listings to match source documents
- Reconcile the accounts in Quickbooks to confirm balances
- Provide transaction reports for items such as cash advances for follow up with your line manager
- Ensuring regular periodic updates of the organisation’s Asset register
- Ensuring that assets are Capitalized as per CRANE policy and Chart of Accounts
- Responsible for creating the monitoring system of the Assets of the organisation
- Prepare status report of the Assets to support decision – For Repairs or Disposal
- File Monthly returns for PAYE, NSSF, Withholding Tax, Tax exemptions, Local service Tax, other taxes
- Filing annual company returns for the organisations timely.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of monthly returns of all taxes as per government requirements
- Receive, review and record Accountabilities for funds advanced as per the agreed period
- Review the supporting documents using the provided checklist
- Ensure the accountabilities are signed as per mandate on the summary sheet
- Stamp all the accountabilities and file them according to the provided standard filing procedures
- Record the accountabilities in QuickBooks and file accordingly.
- Ensure monthly/quarterly personal plans are prepared and submitted in the 1st week of the new month
- Comply to the Finance Policy and Work Instructions
- Ensure all personal reports are done and submitted monthly to the line manager
- Share ideas and good practices during Finance team meetings and other CRANE staff meeting you are part.
- Any other relevant task assigned to you by your line manager from time to time.
Required Qualification, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or BBA Accounting (Essential)
- Accounting Professional certificates CPA/ACCA minimum stage 2 (Desirable).
- Stores Management Skills (Desirable)
- Strong knowledge of Computerised accounting packages preferably QuickBooks (Essential)
- A Minimum of 2 years relevant previous experience with evidence (Essential)
- Excellent skills in writing quality reports (Desirable)
- Able to pay attention to detail (Essential)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (Essential)
- Accurate English oral and written communication skills (Desirable)
- Proven ability to work well in teams (Desirable)
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve on a continuous basis (Desirable)
- Understand and have a passion for God’s heart for children (Essential)
- Knowledge and experience /training in child protection and safeguarding, and a clear criminal record (Essential)
- Have a strong sense of calling to CRANE (Desirable)
- Build strong connections with people through effective communications (Desirable)
- Aim for quality results and value for money at all times (Essential)
- Be committed to the Church and have a heart for her role in collaborating to help children at risk (Desirable)
- Have experience with helping individuals and communities to make positive change (Desirable)
- Be able to undertake regular field travel (Essential)
Should you fulfil the above-mentioned requirements, and be interested in the above position, MUST submit a fully filled in CRANE Customised Application form, one-page expression of interest. (Quote the Job Reference Number in the subject heading of the letter or email) and a maximum three-page Curriculum Vitae to the address below not later than Monday 2nd November 2020 at 5:00pm. CRANE customised application form is provided on request using the email address below. NO Application will be accepted without the fully filled in form
The Head of HR and Field Support Services
Children at Risk Action Network, CRANE
P O Box 14003 Kampala OR
- CRANE customised application form can be requested using the above email
- No hand deliveries will be accepted to avoid the spread and infection of COVID-19
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. If you don’t hear from us within two weeks after application deadline, please know that you were not selected for interviews.